Monday, July 9, 2012

The Truth of This Moment

I just need to get some things out in the open.

The truth of this moment is that I will never again teach 6th grade students at Samcheon Elementary School. In two days, I'll add Samcheon 4th and 5th graders to that list as well as two of my current co-workers. Aside from the 17 students who plan to attend summer camp, my work here is essentially finished.

And the truth of this is, I am relieved.

The truth is, I haven't enjoyed working here. Here as in Samcheon. Here as in South Korea.

I've loved Korea. I've loved many of my students. I've made a handful of exceptional co-worker friends. I've gained invaluable experience as an educator. I've learned to teach phonics effectively and engagingly. I've been offered a lot of snacks. I've drank a lot of instant coffee.

But at the end of the day, I don't love this job.

That is the truth.

Because in my position, as a foreigner, teaching English in a Korean Elementary school, regardless of previous experience and education, is not a highly valued position, in some ways, I am not a highly valued person according to cultural norms (age, gender, nationality, experience).

And...

I guess I've lead a pampered life of people praising me and affirming my talents, even in teaching and classroom management.

Not so here.

And maybe that's okay. Maybe, surely, I needed a season that played out the way this one did.

But the truth of this moment, is that I will not miss working in Korea's public elementary schools.

I just hope I have the heart and gumption to tackle teaching back home...or that the good Lord leads elsewhere...

(Typed having finished a red paper cup of nothing other than instant coffee ^^)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...